Saturday, November 13, 2004

cooking

is not in the cards for me ever. Winston brought up the specter of cooking once again today, which he does periodically. He says he wishes he had someone who would cook for him as a show of affection, implying that I should cook for him. Basically, he just wishes I would cook him salmon. I tell him how to cook it, but I won't cook it, unless he really really begged me. He makes the point about my diet, that it wouldn't be that hard to cook up some rice, sautee some veggies, do a stir fry kind of thing. My reply is that it's more convenient to just pick up a $4 veggie burrito at a taqueria, take it home, do burrito surgery (ie, slit it open), add my own stuff-- chopped tomatoes, garlic, tofu, walnuts, whatever-- and there you go, it's a meal (plus the tacks always give you tortilla chips on the side). That's a meal. In fact, it's my most common meal. It's nearly instant gratification. It's fairly healthy, especially when I have my high fiber custom burrito: pinto beans, jalapenos, lettuce, diced onion, a little cheese, in a whole wheat tortilla. What else? always fresh fruit around, the occasional bread product from Arizmendi's, sometimes I get almond butter to schmeer on it. I roasted the pumpkin seeds for the jack-o-lantern I carved (He's a skull, talking on a cell phone!)and have been munching on those. Then all the junk I eat on the run, the occasional giant cookie, the cheese slice from various pizza joints on my commute between home and Davies (there's like 4 of 'em), an occasional bout of indian food carry out (which has all that nasty ghee in it, so I try not to eat much of that). I don't know, it's sort of a diet, kinda healthy, I burn it all off on the bike anyway. Cooking would just complicate things. Everything I really want to eat is bad for me, so why not just eat the few things that are pretty good for me that I sorta like (burritos, basically)?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home