Friday, December 17, 2004

prolix jello.

Had my nutrition final tonight. It was way easy. I was out of there in 30 minutes. I had been courting the prof in that class all semester for a letter of rec, as this is the only "science" course prof that I can get an LOR from, and most of the med schools seem to ask for one from a science prof (although they really mean hard science, like chem or physics, but, hey, it's all I've got). She said first that she was so overextended that she couldn't guarantee she could get it in the mail until after the first of the year, which I said was cool (I asked her around the middle of the semester, late October). And she wanted to "get to know who I am" before writing it, which is certainly reasonable. So I gave her a couple pages of biographical stuff cobbled together from some of the essays I wrote for med school apps, plus as a bonus, I composed several sample passages that she could cut and paste into a workable letter (it's the bfc way!). But she wanted to talk to me one on one, too, so twice I came in during her office hours and had really nice, heartfelt talks with her. At the beginning of the semester I thought she was rather cold and off-putting, feeling like I wouldn't get a letter out of her. But I came to realize she was actually pretty cool. When I handed in my exam tonight she smiled and said not to worry about the letter. So I guess I won her over? I really hope so, because her letter is key to several apps I sent out.

To celebrate I rode my bike downtown to see Jello Biafra do spoken word at Slim's. The show started at 8 with an opening act that was another spoken word artist who was quite entertaining. Jello came on around 9 and didn't finish until freakin' 1:30 am!!! Good thing I can sleep in late tomorrow (working graveyard); At least the guy gave us a short intermission. It was like a congressional filibuster almost. The title of the show was "Surviving Bush, Inc." and it was good stuff, but, wow, he just went on and on. When I arrived a little after 8, the place was packed, and I had to sit up in the balcony. By the time intermission rolled around, I was the only one left up there, and maybe a third of the crowd had departed (at one point I noticed Matt Gonzalez, of the 2003 mayoral race and green party stalwart, milling around in the crowd below, but he left after a while). At another point, I fell asleep. At least I stayed around to the very end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home